Friday, May 17, 2013

Twice Baked

The word "biscotto", the singular form of biscotti, is never used, because how could you eat just one? These twice-baked, oblong-shaped cookies are addictive. I've read that they'll last several weeks and have been described as "non-perishable", but I've never tested that quality of the cookies as they disappear very quickly around here. They're a little like potato chips...you can't stop at one.

I made chocolate, almond biscotti today for company this weekend and I'll be making another batch next week for more visitors over Memorial weekend. It's got to be my favorite cookie as it doesn't deteriorate with age (that's two or three days for us) like most cookies that are meant to be moist, but dry out in a couple of days; it makes a great gift (everyone loves biscotti); it's quick and easy to make...now that's the clincher. There's a mystique about biscotti...home bakers often avoid it because they think it's difficult to make. I was one of those people up until a few years ago when I found a recipe for chocolate biscotti in the San Francisco Junior League Cookbook. I made it as a Christmas gift for neighbors and received a great response. My Italian neighbors said they've never had better biscotti! Wow, now that's a compliment coming from an Italian, as biscotti originated in the town of Prato, Italy and Gwen has been making biscotti since she was a young girl.

Here's a picture of the baked logs cooling before they're cut into the familiar oblong shape...

Here they are cut into 3/4" diagonal bars and baked a second time...
I double dare you...try making this delicious biscotti and see if you can eat just one biscotto!


No comments:

Post a Comment