Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Master Food Preserver or Master of Mess-Ups?

I don’t know exactly what I expected to change after completing the 10-week Master Food Preserver program, graduating, and receiving my official MFP nametag, but I didn’t expect to have a half dozen back-to-back failures in the kitchen! Not complete failures (the product’s edible, if not aesthetically pleasing), but far from the kind of product that receives a blue ribbon at the Amador County Fair (and isn't this everyone’s goal?). I can assure you, though it was done by the book and is safe to eat!  

I’m calling my strawberry jam (four batches…that’s 24 jars in total!) Jam on Top, Jelly on the Bottom. The technical name for this phenomenon is fruit float. After processing and cooling, the solids rise to the top of the jar leaving the liquid at the bottom. After opening, a quick stir will incorporate the jelly with the jam; and in spite of the separation problem, it tastes great. But, give this as a gift? Not a chance! Did I have this problem last year (prior to my MFP training)? NO! My strawberry jam was perfection! I’m disappointed to say the least! The only change between this year’s strawberry jam and the 30+ jars I canned last year is the pectin. Now that’s another story…


Several of the books I purchased last year after becoming enamored with “putting foods by,” in particular, canning, used a pectin called Pomona. It’s rather unique because it uses calcium water to activate the pectin, rather than sugar. This is appealing, because Pomona allows you to adjust the amount of sugar in products, whereas the other pectin products won’t set properly if the sugar is reduced below that specified in the recipe, which is often a 1:1 ratio of sugar to fruit and in some cases higher. Pomona pectin is impossible to find in our area, so I ordered a 6-pack on line. Each package makes about three batches of jam, jelly, or preserves. I’ve got enough Pomona pectin to can 150+ jars of jam this summer. I WANT to believe my strawberry jam failure is not due to Pomona pectin. And, I am not ready to give up on it! Not until I’ve worked my way through my large inventory of the stuff, anyway.

I love buying produce at farmers’ markets or Davis Ranch, but occasionally our local grocery store receives a shipment of fresh, local (“local” is anywhere within about a 500 mile radius, so disregard that sign) red raspberries. I bought enough to make a batch of pure raspberry jam. With Verne’s help (I don’t know how anyone cans alone…it takes two!) we assembled all of the equipment, read the recipe twice, and made the jam. Maybe I should say, “We made the sauce or syrup or topping”…NOT jam. It didn’t set. It’s a gorgeous color and deliciously sweet, without being sugary. But, it is runny! I was dumbfounded the next day when I prepared the jars for labels. (Just a note here: after removing jars from the water bath canner, they need to be left to cool for 12-24 hours…no disturbing, no touching!) So, that next day was when I first noticed the runny consistency of my raspberry jam, which is now called raspberry sauce. Disappointed! Eight more jars to add to my inventory of “seconds”. Although, I don’t think I can blame the pectin this time. As Verne and I rethought the steps we’d gone through, we both realized I’d used half of the amount of pectin called for in the recipe. I had a small amount left in a package (which I used) and intended to open a new package for the balance (which I didn’t!). OOPS!

This past weekend we set aside a day for canning some berries we’d frozen late last year. I should mention…canning frozen produce is not a bad thing. It’s not always possible to go from the field to a jar in just two hours. I use that as a standard, because last year at the Portland Berry Festival Verne bought a quart jar of pie filling from a sweet old lady who claimed she’d canned the berries within two hours of their harvest. Wow! It’s hard to compete with that. Our berries were closer to “borderline expired,” but still useable. Actually, they were mostly dead (that’s an inside joke that only my family or people who love the movie The Princess Bride will understand.) I figured canning the berries would breath a bit of life into them. That was my first mistake. We made a batch of blackberry jam and a second batch of mixed berry pie filling. As required, I waited overnight before checking the seal and cleaning the jars in preparation for labels. By the time I’d finished this process, I’d handled and moved the jars three times and as I closely scrutinized the jars for a slight difference in color or consistency (which seemed apparent the prior day), I saw none! They looked identical in color and both had jelled to the point there was no movement in the jar. I had absolutely no idea which was the jam and which the pie filling. I took my best guess and applied the labels and added them to the pantry shelf of seconds bringing the total to an even 50! Doubly disappointed! **Scream!!!**

We’ll eat some of the “seconds” and toss the rest when we either run out of storage space or they reach their expiration date next year. It’s the price one pays for learning. As for the pectin…the jury is still out!

No comments:

Post a Comment