Monday, July 14, 2014

Peeling a Mushroom

Back in April I blogged about "Personal Pizzas" and as a footnote I mentioned peeling mushrooms. If you missed it, here's what I said...

"P.S. Just when you think you know your way around the kitchen, you learn something new…Vera prepared her mushrooms by peeling them, an old trick she learned when she worked in the deli department at Safeway. I had no idea you could peel a mushroom. Brush them off, yes. (Although, I’ve never been thoroughly satisfied with the results.) Wash them, yes (according to Alton Brown). But, peel? The results are pure, clean goodness. Google it…I’m sure there’s a You Tube on it!"

Well, each time I've brought this up with Jana she has laughed, said it's ridiculous, and that she'd NEVER peel a mushroom. We made this video for her Sunday morning to show her how easy it is and decided to share it on the Moser Good Eats blog. Watch it and give it a try.

2 comments:

  1. Sally's comment: Joyce, why would you want to peel a mushroom? Better things to do with a day.

    Joyce's response: To peel or not to peel...people are all over the board on this one. Some people eat them out of the box (or bag) and don't even bother to brush them off. Others wouldn't consider eating them unless peeled. We've always brushed or washed them, but have found that they are much more appetizing peeled if you're going to serve them raw as an appetizer or in a salad. It really doesn't take long to peel a mushroom (about 30 seconds each).

    However, this blog post was more about the video than the content. Verne and I have been laughing about it for the last couple of days. Not sure why we find it so funny...probably because I was aghast when I heard myself bossing him around in the kitchen. I'm lucky to have a man who loves me just as I am!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe that I found this video so easily on YouTube! Go Auntie! 50 Views!

    ReplyDelete