Sunday, August 3, 2014

More Confessions from the Master of Mess-Ups

When the girls were in elementary school they would occasionally do something that was not quite to their liking and they would say, “I made a mess-up.” (Probably all kids say that, but it was especially cute coming from our two precious daughters.) I like the term and use it, not only because it conjures up sweet memories of our children, but it also helps soften my true reaction to a failed project, which is to scream, S**T, another failure!!!” Most of our attempts at preserving food have been successful and go unmentioned. It’s these less than perfect results, these failures, which haunt me a bit. So, I need to use this forum one more time (providing there are no more failures) to consider and hopefully explain why each one of this month’s canning mess-ups occurred.

The peaches…a special trip to Lodi to buy them and an afternoon of hot work in the kitchen to can nine quarts of the things, and what do we have? Nine quarts of over-processed, brown-tinged Elberta’s in the refrigerator/freezer. We managed to make every mistake in the book and then some. The first lesson in canning: Focus, minimize all distractions. Not only were we not focused and did not go over the recipe, but we were preoccupied the entire time with taking photos (remember Ann, the reporter who needed pictures for her article and the reason we were canning peaches in the first place?). Next, we either didn’t remember from canning peaches last year (yes, we’d done this before!), but once peeled they need to be placed in water with lemon juice or ascorbic acid, which minimizes the browning from oxidation. Like apples, peaches will brown very quickly if left exposed to the air. And they did! We were cold-packing the peaches, which means the uncooked peaches are put into a hot jar, a hot simple syrup is poured over them, a warm lid and ring applied, and then the jars are placed in a boiling water bath canner and processed according to the recipe. Verne had prepared several quart jars, both regular and large mouth. I grabbed one of the jars and attempted to stuff the peach halves through its “regular” mouth opening (kind of like stuffing a size 12 arse into size 10 jeans). Not a chance for those extra-large peaches to go through a 3” opening. It took a few jars of mutilated peaches before we went searching for additional wide-mouth jars, which then had to be thoroughly washed and prepared for canning. Time was ticking. When we were finally ready to process the jars, everything was room-temp to cold…the jars, the simple syrup, the lids. This has to explain our catastrophic results. They didn't seal! In fact, the syrup bubbled over reducing its level in each jar by a good ½” and creating a sticky bond between the lid and glass jar, which a less informed canner might consider a seal…not me, though. I was not about to be fooled by a false (sticky) seal and all of the jars went into the fridge. According to Lauren, an “epic fail” as the peaches were for her! Here's the $50+ picture...


I’m scheduled to teach a class on jams and jellies in the fall. My preparation has included several hours of research on the various commercial pectins available as well as homemade pectin and, of course, the slow-cook or reduction techniques to making a no-added pectin jam. Rather than just research the topic, I decided to test each of these pectins/techniques by using them to make a batch of strawberry jam. I chose that particular fruit because strawberries are plentiful and inexpensive this time of year. Also, if you remember reading my previous "canning mess-ups" blog, I had severe fruit float with my new Pomona Pectin and assumed (bad idea to assume) that it was due to the brand of pectin I was using. I ended the blog post by saying “the jury is still out (on Pomona).” Well, the jury has returned with a NG verdict, Not Guilty. Every jar of pectin jam I’ve made so far (four different brands) has had significant fruit float (solids at the top, jelly at the bottom). I have yet to make my no-added pectin strawberry jam, which is a slow cook reduction. However, I’d be willing to bet money that it will be perfect with no fruit float. My theory is this: the quick cooking time used with added-pectin jams does not sufficiently remove/release the air from the fruit making it lighter than the jelled liquid in which it’s preserved. It thus has a tendency to float to the top. A reduction jam is cooked for 30-40 minutes, constantly stirring, until the mixture has reduced by one-third to one-half. At the end of the cooking time, it is one cohesive glob (technical term) and (this is my theory…you won’t find it in a food science book) much of the air has been removed due to the constant stirring and the long cooking time. Secondly, the liquid has jelled sufficiently to keep the fruit particles suspended. That’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it!

We now arrive at our third failure in July: Pickles. I know this sounds like an excuse, but by reading past blog posts you know that I readily admit to my failures and shortcomings…It was a very bad recipe! I was so excited to be taking our second big step in our journey into home food preservation…Making Pickles. I was hoping for a pickle something like Claussen or Vlasic, but didn’t really expect perfect results from our first attempt. Sadly, they didn’t turn out to be like Claussen or Vlasic or any other pickle I’ve ever eaten and they were so bad, so salty they were inedible. No, I didn’t expect perfection, but certainly was not prepared for total Failure. We tossed the six-pint jars, spent an afternoon commiserating, and got up the next day with a mission to find the perfect dill pickle recipe.  We searched our cookbooks as well as the Internet. With few exceptions, all dill pickle recipes call for large amounts of salt. I’ve found one recipe by Ball that uses their commercially-available pickling concoction that we’re going to try next. If we don’t have better results, our plan is to put quick pickles on the back burner (pun intended) and move on to fermented pickles for now…a much longer and more intimidating process, but it does seem to use less salt.  For now, I’d avoid eating pickles at the Moser’s and just stick to the peach margaritas!  


No comments:

Post a Comment